Articles

Update 25 Sept 13:30 (BST)

We're finally there, we can now deliver on our promise when we started this.  We can offer the following:

  • Capture any data volume by physically getting it out of the data centre
  • Spanning all use cases (primary storage, archive, secondary data)
  • Using any appliance (see yesterday's update)

We would like to thank everyone who has shown faith in us and held steady during the turbulent time following Nirvanix's announcement.

We are tremendously proud to be able to deliver on your expectations and could not have done it without so many of you making contact with us and discussing your requirements. Your support has been invaluable to us and demonstrates that Public Cloud storage remains a valuable and viable storage solution.

We know that there are many companies still struggling to find a solution, particularly with large data volumes running on Panzura. If you think we might be able to help please do get in touch.

Update 24 Sept 03:30 (BST)

We are pleased to announce that we are confident in our ability to provide continuity of service to customers who are using the following appliances/gateways/software :

    • Panzura
    • TwinStrata
    • CloudBerry
    • CloudNAS (although you will need to use a non-proprietry gateway to access afterwards)
    • Gladinet
    • Riverbed
    • Most software gateways that create a flat file structure including most archiving solutions

We believe that we can do the same with customers with the following but we need support from Nirvanix to achieve this:

    • Hybrid Cloud
    • Private Cloud

Finally whilst we can move data (including full meta data) uploaded using Direct API we will not be able to recreate the API itself and so unfortunately you will need to recode your calls.

We will continue to provide updates over time as other appliances / gateways are tested and proven.

We are finalising an agreement for a global leader in the technology field to join our consortium. Meanwhile we would like to take this opportunity to thank IBM for their support to date and wish them the best of luck with their own endeavours.

Once again, we are not contacting customers.  We're offering the ability, as we originally set out, for customers to maintain continuity of service. If you come to us, we'll get you started now. nirvanix@aortacloud.com 

Update 21 Sept 02:30 (BST)

We now believe we have a viable solution for the majority of customers that will avoid any outage - our intention is to provide full continuity of service.  We strongly recommend customers continue to act to protect their data, meanwhile we are working towards offering continuous read access to data until stabilsation followed by full update access with no break in service. 

 

Update 20 Sept 08:00 (BST)

I know that things are difficult when things go quiet so would like to update you on what has been happening behind the scenes over the past 24 hours.  I am pleased to confirm that we have a number of valid solutions that will address the majority of the Nirvanix customer base. The following three (so far) have been put forward to NIrvanix for consideration:

  1. A partnership supported by IBM and IBM SoftLayer - good reputation and scale with the financial security to provide confidence to the Cloud community;
  2. A structure backed by BroadCloud - sufficient storage space locally allowing a fast physical move of data if needed and the experience, adaptability and attitude to make things work;
  3. A similar proposition to (1) but I cannot disclose the entity but again a suitably large player to provide confidence to customers.

So we are making considerable progress; there are a number of options available but these still need technical validation (which is not a simple exercise) before anything can be formally presented to the community; in the meantime all feedback is greatly appreciated so please continue to share your thoughts and views with us.  At present the primarily focus has been upon the public cloud customer base and we still need to work out a suitable solution for those with local nodes in their own datacentres that do not propogate out to the Nirvanix cloud, and those that connect direct via API (like ourselves at AortaCloud) but we're working on it.

Nevertheless I think we are now in a position to say with some confidence that we will have a solution (albeit potentially involving some outage - but we're working on it) for all customers in sufficient time. Which is what you are all wanting to hear. 

Steve

 

Update 19 Sept 13:10 (BST)

We can now publicly confirm that IBM are an active participant in our attempt to drive forward a solution.  More to follow...

 

Update 18 Sept 22:30 (BST)

This is a brief holding message to all those that have got in touch to offer support; firstly a huge thank you for coming forward and I hope to have some positive news in the next few hours.  In the meantime I think we have now made contact with every one of you - however if we have missed anyone please do accept my apologies and email us a chaser.  To anyone else thinking of getting in touch, firstly let me give you my word that any conversation between us is strictly confidential, and secondly let me reiterate that from an ethical perspective we are not contacting anyone direct so the sole means of us talking is through you emailing us at nirvanix@aortacloud.com

Thank you all again for your support and I look forward to working with you all as we slowly address the challenges ahead of us.

Steve

 

Update 17 Sept 13:30 (BST)

We have had a seven figure commitment to provide liquidity during the early stages, and have a bank that will match that investment.  Our current thinking is that if we could consolidate the seven global data-centres into two or three (allowing the required availability and redundancy for continued operations but without the additional overhead) this will allow time for consolidation and for a more considered strategic response. In parallel we'd be interested in seeing if existing customers would like a part to play in their future, by taking a stake in whatever package and structure results.

After all, the hurdles for existing customers to move their data are substantial and if there is any way that we can help Nirvanix continue its operations this has to be a preferable scenario for those customers to any alternative.  

So to reiterate, we would like existing customers to make themselves known (pls email us at nirvanix@aortacloud.com) and if we can get sufficient groundswell and tolerance from you to allow us to continue the story we shall.  The technology is robust and solid, the business is credible, the market clearly exists and demand is there. We must be able to find a way forward together.

 

Original open letter, 16 Sept 22:00 (BST)

Hi,

Aorta Cloud alongside sister company Aorta Capital (www.aorta-capital.com) is currently structuring a package to take over and continue Nirvanix Inc following their recent challenges.  Clearly, less than 12 hours after customers were informed, it is very early days. Nevertheless given that customers have to remove their data (in many cases with multiple petabytes) before the end of September we have to be swift.

Our current plan is to raise the funds to allow operations to continue in sustain mode (i.e. no new business) for a minimum of 2 months to allow a stabilsation period and for proper financing to be put in place.  If nothing else this will allow a more gentle managed exit for customers, but the intention is obviously to take the good work, great people and great technology forward as a going concern.

If you are interested in supporting this package, either as a fellow finance house, an existing investor, customer or just an interested party, please do get in touch at nirvanix@aortacloud.com and we'll be in touch very shortly. Clichéd but true: Nothing ventured, nothing gained.

Thank you very much for your time, and I hope to have some good news within the next few days.

Steve Ampleford
CEO, Aorta Cloud & Aorta Capital

Secure login